Correspondence with Nigel Lawson, April 2012

From: robin russell-jones <redacted>

Date: 9 April 2012 19:28:00 BST

To: redacted

Subject: Climate Change Conference RIBA May 7-11

Dear Lord Lawson

I am organizing an International Conference on Climate Change on behalf of Help Rescue the Planet (HRTP) which is scheduled to take place at the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) London  from May 7-11 this year.

I would like to invite you to speak on the subject  of  “My Foundation”

You will see from the provisional programme that I have tentatively scheduled you to speak on Monday May 7 PM  . If this is inconvenient please let me know ASAP as there is still some flexibility in the programme.

I very much hope that you will be able to attend the  5 days of the conference as well as the day that you are scheduled to speak. Registration for speakers is free but please contact my PA Rebecca to confirm your attendance. Lunch will be provided on the day that you are scheduled to speak.

In addition there will be a drinks reception and  evening concert  on Monday May 7 and Friday May 11 starting at around 5.30 pm which you are more than welcome to attend. We can offer travel expenses and hotel accommodation for speakers coming from overseas.

I attach under separate cover a  poster advertising the conference

I look forward to hearing from you and hope that you are able to participate in what I hope will be an important step towards rescuing the planet.

With best wishes

Dr Robin Russell-Jones MA FRCP FRCPath

International Conference Organiser for HRTP

Atholl House
Church Lane
Stoke Poges

Bucks SL2 4NZ

On 10 Apr 2012, at 08:45, Lawson wrote:

Dear Dr Russell-Jones

Many thanks for your programme.

In principle, I should be happy to speak about my Foundation at your Conference, but not, I fear on 7 May, as i shall be flying in from France that afternoon and my flight is not due to land until after 6 pm.

My diary is, however, pretty free on the 9th (particularly in the morning) if that is any use.

Regards,

Nigel Lawson

On 10 Apr 2012, at 9:52 am, robin russell-jones wrote:

Dear Lord Lawson

That would be excellent I have amended the programme so that you speak on Wednesday May 9 am. I will let you have an accurate time nearer the date. I enclose a registration form. Presumably you will attend on just Wednesday i very much look forward to meeting you.

Regards Robin Russell-Jones

On 10 Apr 2012, at 08:57, Nigel Lawson wrote:

Thanks.  One last point before I confirm.  Your programme is described as ‘provisional’.  Could you please let me know which of the speakers are now definite?

Many thanks.

NL

On 10 Apr 2012, at 10:22 am, robin russell-jones wrote:

All the speakers highlighted in bold have already accepted The others I have only invited over the weekend so am awaiting their responses. I’m  afraid this is rather short notice but I’m having to do this myself as my PA Rebecca is in Tanzania looking after her younger sister who has renal failure following a severe bout of malaria.

Regards RRJ

On 10 Apr 2012, at 10:50, Nigel Lawson wrote:

I know it is difficult for you, but I can’t confirm my own acceptance until I have a much better idea of who the other speakers will definitely be.  So far as I can see, very few indeed are at present highlighted in bold.

NL

E-mail from RRJ to NL April 11 2012.

Dear Lord Lawson I completely understand I should have a much clearer idea by the end of the week. I will contact you again nearer the time Regards RRJ

PS Just for the record I have had 49 acceptances and 38 “Dont knows yet” (excluding the media bunch on Friday morning).

Sent: 22 April 2012 20:32

To: LAWSON, Lord

Cc: redacted

Subject: RIBA

Dear Lord Lawson I enclose the final programme for the RIBA conference

and would be very grateful if you could confirm your availability to

speak. It would be most helpful if you could let me have the text (or

an executive summary) of your talk by May 3.

Many thanks

Dr Robin Russell-Jones MA FRCP FRCPath

On 23 Apr 2012, at 15:46, LAWSON, Lord wrote:

Dear Dr Russell-Jones

I am astonished that you should list me as a confirmed speaker, when I informed you categorically that I could not confirm my participation.

Given that most of the more eminent invitees are not in fact taking part, I can now let you know definitively that I shall not be taking part, either.

Nigel Lawson

From: robin russell-jones [mailto:redacted]

Sent: 23 April 2012 16:37

To: LAWSON, Lord

Subject: Re: RIBA

Dear Lord Lawson

I am a bit confused. You told me that you were happy in principle “to speak about my Foundation at your Conference” and asked to be scheduled for May 9 and not May 7. You then said that you wanted confirmation as to who the other speakers would be. This I have now  provided but you now say that you don’t want to take part as “most of the more eminent invitees are not in fact taking part”. Perhaps I have missed something here but which eminent invitees were you alluding to exactly? I think the programme has a considerable number of very eminent speakers. As to the chairpersons we have Patrick Holden CBE and John Beveridge QC so I would appreciate clarification before removing your name from the programme.

Yours Sincerely Dr Robin Russell-Jones MA FRCP FRCPath.

On 23 Apr 2012, at 17:00, LAWSON, Lord wrote:

The provisional programme which you sent me included Bob Watson, John Beddington, Crispin Tickell, David King, David Mackay, and Ed Miliband – to name but a few.  So far as I can see, none of these are now speaking at your conference.

NL

From: robin russell-jones <redacted>

Date: 24 April 2012 16:44:58 BST

To: “LAWSON, Lord” <redacted>

Subject: International Conference on Climate Change RIBA May 7-11.

Well Sir,

In answer to your rather strange e-mail:  Bob Watson was due to speak and did in fact speak at one of the three seminars that I helped to organise at St Georges House in Windsor Castle during March and April. Sadly, he had to withdraw from RIBA due to other commitments at the last minute.  Sir John Beddingon sent his regrets but is on annual leave that week.I have not heard from Sir Crispin as I don’t have his e-mail but the others apologised that they were unable to speak due to prior commitments. You should also be aware that I have invited the Prince of Wales, Sir Martin Rees FRS and Sir John Houghton FRS to act as overall conference chair (in that order) as our paths have crossed  in the past. I had refusals from all of them due to prior commitments but they all wished me luck with the conference..The point is that they would have  been happy to contribute had they been able. You, on the other hand are available but prefer not to speak on the grounds that these eminent experts won’t be there. Perhaps you could explain to me which of the above “experts” do you anticipate would have supported your position on climate change? Or maybe they decided not to speak because you are on the programme.  Who can tell? It seems to me, and you must correct me if I am wrong, but it appears  that you are trying to evade talking at the Royal Institute of British Architects because the last thing you want is to face an audience who actually understand the science of climate change. After all it was you yourself who stated, back in November 2009 at the launch of  your Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF):

“We will certainly be actively involved in monitoring what is being said, in correcting errors where the are errors. The only thing we will not be actively engaged in is what are the causes of the temperature changes on the planet: how much is CO2, how much is solar radiation, how much is cosmic rays. We won’t be getting into all that.”  So you admit that you have no expertise as regards the science. The only justification that you offered for establishing  GWPF was the e-mails that were hacked at the University of East Anglia from the Climate Research Unit (CRU) and released in November 2009 just before the Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen in December 2009. Your foundation was launched in November 2009 and you stated

“Moreover, the scientific basis for global warming projections is now under scrutiny as never before. The principal source of these projections is produced by a small group of scientists at the Climatic Research Unit (CRU), affiliated to the University of East Anglia. Last week an apparent hacker obtained access to their computers and published in the blogosphere part of their internal e-mail traffic. And the CRU has conceded that the at least some of the published e-mails are genuine. Astonishingly, what appears, at least at first blush, to have emerged is that (a) the scientists have been manipulating the raw temperature figures to show a relentlessly rising global warming trend; (b) they have consistently refused outsiders access to the raw data; (c) the scientists have been trying to avoid freedom of information requests; and (d) they have been discussing ways to prevent papers by dissenting scientists being published in learned journals.It is against all this background that I am announcing today the launch of a new high-powered all-party (and non-party) think-tank, the Global Warming Policy Foundation (www.thegwpf.org), which I hope may mark a turning-point in the political and public debate on the important issue of global warming policy.

Perhaps you can let me know whether you had prior knowledge that the e-mails were going to be released because it normally takes months to establish a charity. Yet your  foundation was up and running  within a week of the release of the CRU e-mails. Furthermore if your rationale for establishing  GWPF was Climategate, then how come you haven’t now closed it down.? After all there have been 5 official inquiries into Climategate , 3 in the UK and 2 in the US and not one has found any evidence of scientific misconduct.

Finally it is reported by Guardian On Line that an Australian hedge-fund manager, Michael Hintze, who is a major contributor to the Tory Party and  who speculates on the price of oil, has funded your foundation. Perhaps you can let me know how much he has contributed and whether you have any other significant donors. I ask because you have claimed in the past that your donors are not associated with the fossil fuel industry At the risk of boring you i will quote you again: “Your reporters would also have discovered (although they could have done so from our website – http://www.thegwpf.org – at any time since our launch in November) the explicit statement that the GWPF was “funded entirely by voluntary donations from a number of private individuals and charitable trusts. In order to make clear its complete independence, it does not accept gifts from either energy companies or anyone with a significant interest in an energy company”.

Do you consider that a speculator in the price of oil has a significant interest in the fossil fuel industry? And if so, do you agree that your claims about the funding of your foundation are somewhat misleading?

One more thing. You chair the Oxford Investment Partnership (OXIP) which I understand is jointly or partly owned by you and 5 Oxford Colleges: New College, Balliol, Christchurch, St Johns and St Catherines.The bursar of New College and OXIP trustee, David Palfreyman, has told me “We do not allow ethical considerations to distort our investment strategy” Perhaps you could let me know whether OXIP has investments in Shale Gas and/or Tar Sands and if so how much?

Yours etc

Dr Robin Russell-Jones MA FRCP FRCPath

PS

Incidentally the programme has now gone to the printers so if you want me to remove your name then we will have to negotiate a price.

Advertisements